Hello and welcome to my no-bullshit TV review! This is a TV review with 0 BS OK!!!! Let’s get to this straight-talk NO BULLSHIT review.
As many of you know, ‘This Is Us’ is my favorite show on television. I eagerly await Tuesday nights to sit down and watch it. Just kidding — I do stand up comedy most nights and fall asleep the moment I get home, plus I don’t know how to work my TV, and it’s not out on Hulu until Wednesday morning. So what I’m saying is — I eagerly await Wednesday mornings to watch ‘This Is Us’ while eating breakfast and distracting myself from the fact that I don’t have a job.
Anyway, I think Season 2 was better than Season 1, but only slightly. I resisted the temptation to look at other reviews to tell myself how to feel about it. Instead, I said ‘hey, I’m an independent woman, and I watch TV all by myself!’ Alone. All the time. So these opinions are entirely my own.
FYI THIS CONTAINS LOTS OF SPOILERS.
Here’s what was better:
- Randall’s storyline: I was not the biggest Randall fan Season 1. I liked him for sure, but I didn’t think his storyline was the most compelling. Season 2 — everything changed. I fell in love with Deja and wanted it to work out so badly. During the penultimate episode, I cried like a baby while sitting next to my boyfriend who was editing his podcast with his headphones on and occasionally patting my knee. It’s a healthy relationship.
- No William: I know everyone loved him but honestly he kinda sucked.
- Solo episodes on each of the kids: This was a great way to have two full episodes without Kevin, so I liked it.
- Beth: This is related to Randall’s storyline, but in Season 2 we really got to know Beth as her own character. She’s an awesome badass lady, and I loved seeing more of her. I want to see some flashbacks of her childhood in Season 3, and I know we will, because this show is literally all flashbacks.
- Mandy Moore’s acting: She stepped it up a knotch this season. I can’t deny that. When Jack dies? That lip quiver? Perfection.
- Family therapy episode: Ugh this one is so good, you all have to watch it.
This is what was worse:
- Kevin: WTF Kev. DO SOMETHING!! I loved the Hollywood parties in Season 1, and I wanted to see more of Kevin being glamorous. Did he sleep with any models this season? Probably not one single model. Someone fact-check this please.
- Less of Kate’s food problems: I think the show was trying to respond to criticisms that Kate’s whole storyline was about her weight, and this season they hardly focused on it at all. Instead, they really dug into her own desire to have a baby and her eternal love for Jack, which is interesting, but not as interesting as the Overeaters Anonymous meetings, ok.
- Less Jack: Of course, Jack will never go off the show, but we saw less of him this season. Let’s make season 3 like all flashbacks basically so that we get as much Milo as possible. But like of the time when he doesn’t have a mustache.
- Toby: Always bad. It’s time for them to stop being in love.
Still, ‘This Is Us’ was amazing both seasons, and I can’t recommend it enough.
For more ‘This Is Us’ content, please check out the parody I wrote here. If you haven’t seen the show, do NOT look at the parody because it will just look way more offensive than it is.