By Casey McGowan
Don’t have a date this coming Valentine’s Day? That’s okay, we have all been there before. I also don’t have a date, but here’s some good news! I have some fun facts about America’s favorite bird, the Hummingbird, for you to check out and forget about the woe’s of being single.
1. The name hummingbird comes from the humming noise their wings make as they beat so fast.
Isn’t that a great fact? Kind of strange how saying these facts on dates never result in a second one!
2. The average weight of a hummingbird is less than a nickel.
Now this one is very fun! Next time you are holding a nickel, just think of all the good times you and your ex shared the last four ye—I mean, that a hummingbird would weigh the same as that nickel. Fun!
3. They don’t migrate in flocks like other species, and they typically travel alone for up to 500 miles at a time.
See? Hummingbirds don’t need anyone else in their life, why should you? Would you think a Hummingbird is weird for going to dinner by itself and watching the movie ‘Dan in Real Life’ alone every night? Of course not, that is just the life they live.
4. Hummingbirds are the only birds that can fly backward.
Okay, this one is ridiculous. Why fly backward when you can move forward? There’s nothing in the past left for you Hummingbird! You have wings, why not do the right thing and just soar on forward. I mean it’s been 2 years. MOVE. ON. HUMMINGBIRD.
5. Hummingbirds have no sense of smell.
Most birds don’t have color vision, but the Hummingbird does, so what it lacks in smell, it gains in color vision!